Browsing for Paleo friendly recipes I came across this Paleo Pizza recipe from Paleo Cupboard. I used real cheese but made the crust as follows:
FOR THE CRUST
– 2 large eggs, room temperature
– 2 Tbsp. olive oil (any kind)
– 1 1/2 cups almond flour
– 1/4 cup tapioca flour
– 1 tsp. sea salt
– 1/2 tsp. oregano
– 1/2 tsp. dried basil
– 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
TOPPINGS (FOR MARGHERITA PIZZA)
– About 1 1/2 – 2 cups pizza sauce
– 1 large ripe tomato, sliced
– 15 leaves of fresh basil
– Dried oregano (optional)
TO MAKE THE CRUST DOUGH:
- Place the eggs and olive oil in a small mixing bowl and whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl and stir with a fork to break apart and clumps and to combine well. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until well combined. Set aside for about 5-10 minutes and then split the dough in half and form two round balls.
TO ASSEMBLE THE PIZZAS:
- Preheat the oven to 375F and make sure the oven rack is in the middle position. Using a rolling pin on flat surface or cutting board, roll the two balls of dough separately between two pieces of parchment paper. Form a circular or rectangular shape, rolling the dough to about 1/4″ thick.
- Place the two crusts onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a baking mat. Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust is firm. While the crust is cooking, remove the “cheese” from the fridge and cut it into thin slices. Set it aside along with your basil leaves.
- Remove the crust from the oven and turn the oven to broil. Spread the sauce thinly across the pizza crust (too much sauce will make the crust soggy). Top with the sliced cheese and then the basil leaves. Add a few dashes of oregano on top (optional)
- Return the pizza to the oven and allow to broil for just a couple minutes, or until the cheese begins to melt. Remove from the oven, slice and serve.