THE WORLD’S BEST NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER
- 6 slices thick bacon, medium sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbs butter
- 1/4 ts poultry seasoning
- 1/4 ts Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbs flour
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 bottles clam juice
- 5 cans chopped clams, drained with juice reserved
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 ts dried parsley
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Render bacon in large pot on medium heat, until crispy. Add butter. Stir in onion, celery, and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes or until tender. Add the poultry seasoning, Italian seasoning, and bay leaf. Stir in flour and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and all clam juice. Bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer until potatoes are almost tender.
- Add milk and heavy whipping cream and bring to a simmer. Add the clams and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Season with salt and pepper is desired.